Sunday, May 16, 2010

words seasoned with salt and grace

So sorry to have missed out on the last two Saturdays! And to post so late this Sunday.

Yesterday's topic is from Colossians 4:5-6,
Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
I know I should stick to these verses but I couldn't help but insert these verses that Ria posted on her site:
Cultivate your own relationship with God, but don't impose it on others. You're fortunate if your behavior and your belief are coherent. But if you're not sure, if you notice that you are acting in ways inconsistent with what you believe—some days trying to impose your opinions on others, other days just trying to please them—then you know that you're out of line. If the way you live isn't consistent with what you believe, then it's wrong. - Romans 14:22-24 (The Message) 
I had to wonder if I ever had crossed the line. (With this one, for example.) Because the bottomline is I can't judge another person about his or her beliefs. For all our claims about the truth, the only one who can claim to know it in its entirety is God.

Coming from a small-numbered religious community, I know how it feels like on the other side of the fence. One time, in a theology class, the instructor (also a religious figure) showed a chart similar to a dartboard--bull's eye and all--and explained that the religion (his religion) nearest to the bull's eye is the one "most saved," if that makes any sense. After that class, I felt offended. I still do and quite frankly, hold it against him and his religion--a confession I have not made explicit until now. (One which I now openly acknowledge, on the basis of my no-hypocrisy campaign, and just get over. I promise to let go of this grudge.)

I guess, what I'm trying to say quite clumsily is: Sometimes, as a religious minority, I tend to be defensive about my faith. But these lessons are showing me that a certain tolerance--or is it patience? humility? grace, definitely!--is in order.

A teacher in our local church once shared, Nobody really wins in a debate. They just end up irritating one another, and, may I just add, leave each one hugging his beliefs closer to his indignant bosom. A religious debate is not at all different.

What brings this issue closer to home is this blog. I tried to start it with the intentions of sharing God's message through the eyes of an ordinary person, like me. Make the most of every opportunity, as Paul said to the Colossians. But I have to figure where I start becoming judgmental and suddenly make this project one big campaign, which is not what it's supposed to be. I don't have the right to impose anything on others.

I pray that God will guide me, season my words with salt and grace, so I can share His message in the right way. Feel free to give me a heads up or a good smack on the head if I have ever stepped on your toes. We can talk. And I promise I won't turn it into a debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment